Can Electric Stoves Start Fires

Updated on March 13, 2023

Can Electric Stoves Start Fires

The enhanced features and excellent cooking results of electric stoves have made them a popular option in kitchens. Electric stoves, on the other hand, must be handled with care to avoid fires and other potentially hazardous scenarios from occurring. The question “why did my electric stove catch fire?” is still being asked by some individuals who are already in the middle of this horror. We’re going to tell you what you can do to remedy the problem and prevent it from happening again.

Why Did My Electric Stove Catch Fire?

1. Electrical Outlets

Most electric stoves catch fire when they’re linked to faulty electrical outlets, and this is the most common cause. Additionally, if the sockets are not correctly grounded, they run the risk of tearing. With age comes deterioration of the switches and outlets, which in turn causes the wiring to loosen. All of these problems will lead to a breakdown and a fire. It’s also important to inspect your electrical outlets if the stove has recently caught fire to ensure they are safe. Electrical outlets must also be changed if they’re showing signs of wear and tear.

2. Outdated Wiring

It’s possible that the fire started because of faulty electrical wiring in the stove or walls. To put it another way, an ancient house may not be able to manage a lot of electrical equipment since the original wiring was not designed to handle such a large amount of electricity. It is because of this that the outdated wiring will heat up and catch fire if you connect many electrical appliances to the electric stove. Power outages, flickering lights in the house, overheated appliances and sparks from the electrical outlets are all indicators of obsolete wiring. If you want to be safe, you’ll need to either alter the wiring in your house or move to a gas stove.

3. Overloaded Electrical Circuits & Cords

Extension cables may provide a fire threat if they are not used properly, particularly if they are connected to an electric stove. Due to the fact that extension cables are not designed to withstand high surges and loads, they may not be able to manage the additional stress. As a result of the circuit being overloaded, a fire has broken out. That’s why connecting more than just the electric stove to an extension cable might cause the cords to short out. When purchasing an extension cord, be sure it has excellent insulation.

4. Old Stoves

It is possible that some individuals still have ancient electric stoves that have faulty or missing wiring, which might cause fires. As a result, the electric repair will not suffice since the old insulation is more flammable. In order to be on the safe side, you’ll want to get your stove up to date. In addition, the old electric stoves may be too much for the low-capacity power strip to manage. As a result, in addition to buying a new electric stove, you’ll also require appliance-specific electrical outlets. Not to mention, ground fault circuit interrupters or surge protectors might help keep you safe.

5. Additional Tips To Be Safe From Stove Fires

So, now that we’ve discussed a number of probable causes and treatments for an electric stove catching fire, we’d like to give some preventive advice.

  • Replace or repair broken or loose outlets as soon as you see them. The wire nuts on your electric stove should also be tightened on a regular basis to enhance the electrical connection.
  • If you have an electrical problem, always contact a reputable and qualified electrician for help.
  • Your home’s electrical components and wiring should be regularly checked by a lisenced electrician to ensure their safety.
  • Fire extinguishers and smoke detectors should be put in your house.
  • Make sure your home’s wiring is of the highest quality, and if you have to pick a power outlet, make sure it’s an industrial-grade one.

Leave a Comment