Updated on March 6, 2023
How to Use a Power Pressure Cooker XL: All You Need to Know
Nothing is more convenient than your pressure cooker making your food, however, using it to your full potential can be challenging, especially if it has a number of settings. I have been using the Power Pressure Cooker XL and would say starting off with this was quite tricky. This is because it has a bit of an unconventional design, so there is much you have to unlearn.
Wondering how you can select the timer as per the food requirements? Can you saute your food in the Power Pressure cooker? What is the easiest way to cook your food with this appliance? Well, to save your day, I have brought together this detailed guide on how to use a Power Pressure cooker along with some tips that can help you with this long experience. So, dive right in for more.
Different Food and Time Selectors
Understanding the buttons of this pressure cooker is not challenging at all. All you need to have is a good idea of how much the food you are making will take you. Starting off, I would say all the buttons except the canning one work in a similar fashion, so you can use any button with the closest time setting you need particularly for that dish.
- If you are using steam for fish and vegetables, you will need two minutes to cook them. So, adjust it between 4 and 10 minutes as it is the shortest time this pressure cooker has to offer.
- Similarly, if you are using beans or lentils with this pressure cooker, adjust the time to between 15 and 30 minutes, as it only requires five minutes.
- For rice, the manual suggests that it can take a total of six minutes for white rice and 18 minutes while using brown rice. However, for wild rice, make sure to at least adjust the time to 25 minutes.
- While making stew, I usually set the timer between 30 and 60 minutes, so that everything is completely boiled.
- Last but not least, when it comes to any meat, I usually like to set the time selector between 40 and 60 minutes.
How to Adjust the Time Selector?
Now the question is how to adjust these buttons. It is absolutely simple and all you need to do is to press one time for each minute. If you need to reduce the time, you will use the button that has a – button. All the food in this pressure cooker cooks at 7.2 psi, which makes this cooker an Instant Pot, so you do not have to increase the cooking time for individual recipes at all, as it is already taking a bit longer to come to the desired pressure.
Now, another thing to discuss here is some unconventional power buttons that are designed to help you with high pressure. Here is a list of all the buttons you will be using throughout your experience of learning this cooker. So, dive right in for more.
- First of all, the canning button is designed to cook the food at 12 psi, which is quite high, given that it is after it has achieved the state of Instant Pot. If it is going to take you more than ten minutes the cooking, you can do all the pressure cooking in this appliance, all you need to do is adjust the time range between 45 and 120 minutes. However, if you live somewhere where there is a high altitude, it is not ideal to use the canning function.
- Another such button is the slow cook function which has a total cooking temperature between 174 and 199 degrees Fahrenheit. It works just like the traditional slow cookers, so if you are cooking a dish that takes a total of two hours, you can set the time selector to 6 hours or even 10 hours, depending on your suitability.
- Similarly, this pressure cooker XL also comes with a keep warm function that automatically gets activated when the time selector is off. It is further accompanied by a cancel button that assists you in canceling any request that you had previously given. Here, the delay time is another option with which you can easily set a preferable time to cook the food later in the day.
Can You Saute in this Power Pressure Cooker XL?
Although this pressure cooker does not come with a saute button, you can always use some alternate method. Here, you can always use it the usual way without the lid on, once it is cooked. However, here, you need to have a proper idea of the pressure and make sure to release it while sauteing. All in all, releasing buttons is absolutely easily understandable. You have to look at the steam while it is coming out of the triangle, it is time to release the pressure.
Some Tips you Need to Follow
We all know that using any electric appliance means you have to take care of safety. So, this pressure cooker XL is no different and requires you to follow some precautions, so you don’t have to be bothered by emergencies in the later stages. Here are some simple yet effective tips that can help you along the way;
- First of all, as we all know that this or any other appliance is not to be used by a person who has some sensory issues. Hence, always keep it away from your children at all times and always monitor the kids while they are near this cooker.
- You need to make sure that the valve is tightened or otherwise, the pressure that is building in the cooker can burst into the kitchen, making it extremely risky.
- While working with this cooker, do not touch it when it is hot.
- Always keep the power cord away from water as it can lead to short circuits and electric accidents.
- After you are done cleaning, make sure to dry all the pieces before you assemble them together.
- Never use this pressure cooker XL with a broken power cord or else, it can result in electrical accidents. If it is the case, it is ideal that you consult the company’s customer care office for repair and examination jobs.
- Never use attachments that are not recommended by the manufacturers.
- Similarly, never ever fill the cooker up to the Max line as it can result in clogging or not providing appropriate pressure to the food.
- You are not supposed to use the pressure cooker for recipes that are not mentioned in the manual. Similarly, you only can use it for a 120V electric outlet, or else it can result in potential accidents.
- Make sure you are keeping them on a kitchen counter that is not too cluttered.
- Follow these precautions and you will be good to go.
How long does it take the Power Pressure Cooker XL to pressurize?
In simple words, the Power Pressure cooker XL will take some extra time to pressurize because it works at low pressure, making it an ‘Instant Pot’. The easiest way to test whether the cooker is pressurizing fine is to put some water in an empty cooker and wait for at least 15 minutes. Now, after this, if it is burning hot, your instant pot is working just fine. If it is not the case, you can make some adjustments.
How much water do I put in my Power Pressure Cooker XL?
Although there is no correct point to which you can fill the water in the Power Pressure cooker, it is advised to never go overboard. I usually like to fill my inner pot up to ⅔ ratio to make sure there is a proper distribution of food in the uni. After this step, place the lid on and lock it in order for it to pressurize. Just wait for 10-15 minutes and it must have turned into an instant hot pan for your food to cook.
Is there a safe time to remove the lid from the Power Pressure Cooker XL?
Well, although it is quite safe to remove the lid from the pressure cooker, you are, under any circumstances, allowed to force it open. This is because the cooker is pressurized which not only makes it difficult to open it but also can result in accidents and injuries. Hence, when all the pressure is released and the food is cooked, you can remove the lid for as long as you want to saute or brown your food.
In the end, I would say after using the Power Pressure Cooker XL, starting off with this was quite tricky, given its well-thought and comprehensive design. Hence, to maintain its durability and functionality, it is ideal that you know every small detail about this electric appliance. Finally, I hope this detailed guide can help you in using this cooker safely and up to its full potential.