Updated on December 4, 2022
How to Use Silicone Muffin Pans: All You Need to Know
Baking can be a great deal challenging, considering the measurements you need to take care of accompanied by the constant fear of your food sticking to the utensils. During my beginner years of baking, silicone muffin pans helped me enormously. This is because they are quite easy, non-stick, and non-messy alternatives for baking your cakes, bread, and cookies.
Wondering how to use these unconventional silicone muffin pans? Are they easy to clean? Do you need to grease these pans? Do these silicone pans need extra cupcake liners? Well, to answer all your queries, I have brought together this detailed guide on how to use silicone muffin pans along with some safety tips. So, dive right in for more.
Always Make Sure the Pan is Clean
The first thing you need to make sure of is that the pan must be clean. Just because your silicone pans are different from others does not mean they can be used without cleaning. Hence, it is absolutely important that the pan has no dust, fat, or oil buildup, as it can make the entire baking experience messy and unhygienic and no one wants to proceed with dirty cooking dishes at all.
Before Baking, Grease the Pan
Secondly, before you start off, it is absolutely important that you grease the pan first. While there is a misconception that you do not have to oil the silicon pans because they are supposed to be non-stick, it is not entirely true. Well, although they are non-stick, you still would want to grease them, so that they have an extra layer of defense that can help you in efficiently baking while preventing the batter from becoming sticky.
Put the Pans on the Cookie Sheet
Well, this step is optional but I would still advise you to go for it. This is because, by nature, these silicons pans are quite flexible and can be bent out easily, making it easy for you to use them. Doing this step can prevent you from making a mess, especially while you are putting the heavily loaded silicon pan into the oven, as the sheet is underneath to catch all the spills. I have been doing this ever since and would say removing the pans from the oven has never been this easy.
It is Time to Pour the Batter
Once you are done, it is finally time to put the batter in the silicon pans. Well, there is nothing special about this step and everyone knows how to transfer the batter into the pans. Just make sure you have put something underneath the pan so that there are no spills on the working space and you are good to go.
Last but not least, it is time to bake your batter. Now, although the process has been simple up to this point, the real thing can be a bit tricky. So, to help you with this, I have brought together some tips that can help you;
- First of all, you need to make sure the temperature is good for silicone pans. On average, these pans go well with heat up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it is equally worth noting that all pans are constructed differently, so you have to check it on the manual to maintain the proper temperature.
- Similarly, the fun fact about dark silicone muffin pans is that they take more than usual to bake the food. Hence, it is important that you adjust the temperature and time depending on the pans you are using, and at least add five to ten extra minutes for dark silicon pans.
- It is equally important to be extra careful while you are putting and removing these pans from the oven, as it can be really messy, given that these pans are flexible which makes them get out of control easily. So, always be extra conscious while dealing with these silicon pans.
Related Article: can you freeze tiramisu
Once You are Done Baking, Remove it Carefully
Now that it’s done and the batter is all solid, you are supposed to remove the cookie tray from the oven. In this step, although you don’t have to worry about spilling the batter here and there, there is still a chance of you cracking the cookies, given that they can bend pretty easily. Now, how can you avoid this? Well, for this, apart from using the cookie sheet, you need to be extra careful. Firstly, let the cookies cool down and then remove the pan so that there are minimal chances of it cracking.
Related Article: can you heat up guacamole
Clean it Immediately After
Finally, once you have enjoyed the process of baking your cookies, it is finally time to clean it. Many people often skip this step but I would never do it. This is because you will need them in good condition which requires a lot of work. So, despite the fact that you are tired and exhausted after the cooking session, you need to clean them as soon as possible. You can always use a mild soapy solution with warm water to clean them. Some of them are also dishwasher-safe, so you are absolutely good to go.
Some Tips that can Help you Along the Way
In the end, although it is quite easy and straightforward to use silicone muffin pans, beginners can still feel intimidated, considering that they have little to no experience. There is also no doubt that they have a little bit of a learning curve. So, here are some tips and tricks that can help you in making the entire process safe and convenient;
- Baking is best done when the oven is preheated accurately, based on the instructions in the manual. Hence, it is always important that you use a thermometer to check whether the oven is preheated well to bake the food in the silicon pans. Make sure it is not too much to burn the silicon of the pans.
- If you are most likely to use the conventional oven for the baking process, it is important that you place your oven rack in the center. This will make sure the muffin pans do not get damaged and the food is baked properly.
- If you are most likely to bake food like cookies, cakes, or even bread, make sure to mix all the liquid ingredients (milk, egg, oil, butter, etc) at room temperature. This will make sure the batter is consistent and doesn’t feel too runny.
- You need to have measuring cups and spoons at all times, as baking is all about using the exact measurements. So, as long as you have the right proportions of ingredients, you can get the exact results from the recipe.
- Although it seems a little counterintuitive, you are required to add a pinch of salt to the batter. This can do wonders for the taste.
- If you will be using many eggs in your recipe, make sure to add one at a time.
Just follow these simple tricks and you will be good to go.
Related Article: can u put foil in air fryer
Do silicone baking pans need to be greased?
Well, greasing the silicon baking pans is not a necessity but I would still recommend it. This is because it can make sure there is an extra protective layer of oil under the batter, which can enhance the results of baking. However, if you do not have them available at the moment, don’t stress as these pans are FDA-approved, so you won’t be needing them.
Are silicone muffin pans worth it?
Yes, silicone muffin pans are absolutely worth it, given that they make baking so much easier. They are non-stick and flexible, so you can conveniently put in the batter and remove the muffins from them, irrespective of any spills and cracks. Similarly, they are resistant to sticking, so you don’t even have to grease the pan or use additional layering with these pans.
Do you need cupcake liners in silicone pans?
Well, you won’t be needing cupcake liners while using silicone pans, specifically if you have already sprayed the pan with grease. This is because these pans are FDA-approved, with low-grade silicon which is safe and non-sticky. However, you will have to be conscious of the temperature, as overheating can burn the silicon used in these baking pans. So, always make sure to look it up in the manual.
Finally, as a person who is extremely fond of baking, I would admit that doing it is a lot challenging as you have to know every single detail about the recipe and a small mistake can result in a disaster. During my beginner years of baking, these silicone muffin baking pans helped me enormously, considering that they are non-sticky, non-messy, safe, and pretty convenient to use for baking.
In the end, I hope this detailed, step-by-step guide on silicone muffin pans along with these safety tips can help you in using them safely and conveniently.